Sunday, November 13, 2016

Trunk Show 2016

                                                             Online Quilt Trunk Show | Whims And Fancies

I've been sewing for the past week and am thrilled to report that my shoulder has healed enough to allow me to do some work on my treadle. I made some arm rest protectors and antimacassars. Antimacassars--ooh, what an old fashioned word! You might remember them from your great-aunt's or grandma's parlor chairs. They are the pieces of fabric (or crocheted doilies) that go over the backs of chairs to protect them from hair products-- literally, grease. When I got hurt, we bought me a recliner to sleep (and pretty much live) in, and then we ordered another for my husband. (Caregiver's chair?) I know they'll get a lot of use, and I want to keep them fairly clean. I've also needed a therapy project. I was going to quilt the protectors, but then I found some upholstery fabric in just the right shade, so I didn't quilt them after all. They won't be making an appearance here, but I'm just glad I was able to do some basic sewing. 

Not having a recent quilting project to share--I found that Soma of Whims and Fancies is doing a trunk show this week. It's the perfect way to sum up my quilting for this year. And it gives me a boost to see what I've done since not a lot of quilting has been going on for the last couple of months (and that can make me cranky). So here they are in roughly chronological order. If you want to read more, click on the link for each one. 

 1.  Choose Your Illusion. This quilt is from a pattern called Use Your Illusion by Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs. I donated it to A Mother's Hope program of Margaret's Hope Chest.

2. Random Experiment. This quilt is from a freebie pattern in a mailing from American Patchwork and Quilting called Now and Later by Kathie Holland. To make it, I pulled my fabric units from a grocery bag and used them just as I pulled them--truly random placement of the colors. This quilt also went to A Mother's Hope program at Margaret's Hope Chest.

3. Big Quilt. This is a quilt I designed and made for my son and daughter-in-law based on a screen printed pillow. It took me a little over a year to make from first idea to binding. It helped me become very familiar with quilting on my treadle sewing machine. I wrote about 50,000 blog posts about it as I made it. Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration.

4. Round and Round. This is a piano quilting stool cover I made using a Spirograph style quilting. Tiny quilt, and the quilting looks so complicated, but it isn't. The basic design is all straight lines. I embellished the outside edge with some curves and added some FMQ flowers. So much fun! 

5 and 6. Old Fashioned Values and Leftovers! I made these quilts from a huge batch of charm squares that were gifted to me in an unusual way. The first is named for the vintage looking prints and value placement of the squares. It's based on the Flower Patch Quilt by Kathryn Ludowese. I had enough squares left over from the first quilt to make the second. So that quilt really named itself. These quilts were donated to the Hands2Help challenge hosted by Sarah of Confessions of a Fabric Addict



7. 2AM Quilt. This quilt was a wedding gift for my niece and now nephew, who were married in August. They wanted a vintage-y style quilt, so I went with a scrappy Burgoyne Surrounded, called Tone-It-Down by Lissa Anderson in the February 2014 American Patchwork and Quilting. I couldn't resist a more modern back. 2AM refers to their first and last initials, which are the same.



8. LOVE WINS. The basic whole heart is from Cluck Cluck Sew. I designed the fractured and broken hearts. I made this quilt for distribution by the Orlando Modern Quilt Guild to the survivors and families/friends of the victims of the shootings at the Pulse nightclub. This was a very emotional project. The message was specific to the event, but given the divisive nature of my country's recent election, I think the words can be applied and will echo in a more general way for a very long time. 
  
So that's this year's batch of quilts. I completed some other quilted projects as well, and there are several quilts in progress, going oh-so-slowly right now. But I am confident that in the coming year they will all become part of the next trunk show of finishes as my shoulder gains strength and healing.  

I'm looking forward to seeing all your favorites in your own trunk show! Don't forget to link up with Soma's party and to check out the other posts. 

24 comments:

Bernie Kringel said...

What fun! I didn't know this was happening. I will have to hop over and take a peek at the other posts. Janine, looking at all you accomplished this year is just wonderful. I know you were cut short these past two months but my gosh, you really made some beautiful quilts. :-)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wonderful quilts! Visiting from Trunk Full of Quilts.

Linda said...

Your quilts are stunning! I really enjoyed your trunk show. :)

Calicojoan said...

Oh how fun to look thru your quilts! Each and every one so beautiful.
I'm captivated with the stool cover. Looks very complicated at first glance.
I just might have to play with something like that a bit! Inspiration...that's what it's all about. :-)

KaHolly said...

Fantabulous trunk show! XO

Louise said...

I really enjoyed seeing all your quilts together like this! I must have started to follow your blog because of the piano stool quilt, since the ones before that are new to me. I'm glad to hear that your shoulder is getting better, too!

Carol Swift said...

What a sweet trunk show full of amazing quilts! That stool cover is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Mari said...

You have done some beautiful work! The Burgoyne is my favorite, but they're all wonderful!

Deb A said...

Wonderful selection of quilts. I think Love Wins is my favorite.

Needled Mom said...

Great trunk show. I really like that spirograph piece. That is a huge quilt. It must have been quite a job to handle that one.

Ariane said...

Your quilts are gorgeous!!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

You have made a wonderful collection of quilts this year. Such a lovely variety I couldn't choose a favourite! I'm glad that your shoulder is getting better :)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I am so glad you are feeling better now. Antimacassars - that’s what they are called! I had no idea. Your quilts are beautiful and I love the quilting on Round and Round!

Thank you so much for linking up on Trunk Full Of Quilts!
-Soma

Rachel said...

Very pretty! I really like Love Wins.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

A very "geometric" trunk of quilts J! Oh the process of the BIG QUILT brings memories back!!

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Every time I see a Now and Later, my fingers itch to start one! Lovely trunk full of quilts!

Vicki in MN said...

I kept saying Oh, Oh, Oh as I came to each picture, they are all so beautiful!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

They are all just so wonderful and filled with such meaning and emotion. Beautiful work to be so proud of.. I truly love how many were donation quilts.

Kaja said...

My grandma had antimacassars everywhere! Lovely to see all your quilts for the year gathered together, including another peep at Big Quilt (always a welcome sight). I'm glad to hear that your shoulder is so much better - just think how productive you will be in 2017!

Preeti said...

Love all your quilts. They are so bright and so cheerful. It was fun to see them again and reminisce - oh I remember this one!!! Thank you for sharing.
Hugs,
Preeti.

Anonymous said...

love the Spirograph style quilting!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Very nice trunk show you put together, lots of color and variations in patterns. Hope your shoulder continues to heal well.

Anonymous said...

Great works! Lovely trunk show,thanks!

Sandra Walker said...

Love Wins is still my favourite quilt of yours, but my favourite quilt project (see how I get 2?!) is the FMQ-ed sewing stool cover--NEED to make one of those! Wonderful to see these again. I missed out on this party.