Friday, August 29, 2014

Finishing up

August was a busy month of finishes (two baby quilts and three for donation). Here are this week's finish and one other. I'll show the baby quilts in later posts.

Stacked Coins (actually last week's finish) was made for A Mother's Hope ministry of Margaret's Hope Chest. The quilts are given to mothers who are overcoming postpartum depression in a day treatment program. I found the pattern by amandajean on Crazy Mom Quilts. I discovered Margaret's Hope Chest on amandajean's blog by accident one day when I was looking for fun, quick patterns. The site tugged at my heart for a number of reasons and there were some neat connections between me and the location of the program that made it a good fit for my donation quilts. 

The brightly printed fabric in Stacked Coins is the Garden Party collection from P&B textiles that I won in a blog tour giveaway several months ago. I added Kona Cotton in white for the sashing. The coins are 2 by 4 1/2 inches and the sashes are 3 inches. The finished quilt is about 39 by 53 inches after washing.  The batting is Quilter's Dream Cotton Select and the thread is Superior King Tut Cotton in Temple. 

For the back, I used 1 1/2 yards of a print plus leftovers from the front.

I really need to find a better way to take pictures or crop them. All my quilts have feet!

The other quilt--finished this week--is Cartwheels, also a pattern from Crazy Mom Quilts. It's also for A Mother's Hope program.  I used the same garden party fabric, Kona White and batting. The quilting thread is Superior King Tut Cotton, Temple on top and White Linen in the bobbin--because that's what I had on hand. The blocks are 8 inches and size is 39 by 50 1/2 inches after washing. For the back I used 1 1/2 yards of a yellow dot fabric plus some leftovers from the front. 

As usual, both quilts were pieced on my Singer Featherweight and meander quilted on my Singer treadle. 

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Getting Started first post. 

Let's start with this quilt:
This is Rail Fence (such an imaginative name, but I'm not in the habit of naming my quilts, except for the people they're intended for), made as a quilt along with amandajean of Crazy Mom Quilts (but mine was a "quilt after" since I made it after the quilt along was done) to donate to Margaret's Hope Chest. One of their ministries is to provide quilts to incarcerated parents to give their children, and they especially need quilts for boys. I think this one might work for a very young boy. 

I found the fabrics at a big sidewalk sale at one of my favorite quilt shops. The block size is 6 inches and the quilt is about 52 by 64 inches after washing. I made it on my Singer Featherweight and quilted it on my Singer treadle machine.  (All my quilts are made this way, unless I hand quilt them.)

I used 1/2 yard cuts of 8 fabrics for the front and pieced the back with 2 yards plus leftovers and pieces from my stash. I used Quilter's Dream Cotton Select batting and Superior King Tut cotton thread in White Linen for quilting. I'm new to free motion quilting and treadling, so I quilted in meanders since that's best for my skill level right now. 

Here's the back. 
Whew, that about covers it. This is fun--and I've already saved a lot more information than I ever have about my quilts. Until next time, I'll keep quilting.